Sunday, September 19, 2010



This is going to sound crazy but I've agreed to run the Baja 1000 off-road race with the Cooley Brothers (High School friends). I've had the motorcycle off-road over the weekend getting a little experience in the dirt (or deep sand in my case!) - although we'll be doing this race on a 4 wheel All Terrain Vehicle (ATV).

This was a line item on Paul Cooley's "Bucket List" (things he wanted to do before he 'kicked the bucket'). I couldn't say no.

So, as far as the Navy knows, I'm "support crew handling navigation" (not sure what they would think of this from a Safety point of view!). But hey, they're the same guys who launched me off an aircraft carrier more times than I can remember so - who are they to object?!

More to follow on our preparations - the race is coming up in mid-November. It's actually a pretty big deal - previous competitors include Steve McQueen, James Garner, Parnelli Jones. We can expect to be passed this year by Jesse James (I think he used to be married to some famous actress), Robby Gordon who spends most of his time running left hand circles on the NASCAR circuit, and Jimmy Vassar (Ok, I do respect the Indy Car drivers). I'm not sure if we really fit in that group - but, hey...why not...it's all part of the Adventure!

2 comments:

Deggz said...

Crazy! Good luck with that. We have to attack a few things on our bucket lists as well Spank. Mt Kinabalu keeps calling, a hike or two in NZ, Federation Peak Tasmania, a trip to Kamchatka Peninsula, sail the Dalmatian and Turkish Coasts, drunk and lost in the French wine regions, Scotlands Islay distilleries...it's a bloody long list!

Anonymous said...

Love this photo.